Wednesday 30 May 2012

Serpentine Pavilion 2012


You may remember earlier this year we mentioned the Serpentine Gallery Pavilion 2012, designed by Herzog & de Meuron and Ai Weiwei.

According to their website the 2012 Pavilion will be beneath the Serpentine's lawn, where visitors will be able to see the archaeological remains of previous Pavilions.


Entrance to the 2012 Serpentine Pavilion, 27th May 2012
There will also be a floating platform roof, and the Pavilion's interior "will be clad in cork, a sustainable building material chosen for its unique qualities and to echo the excavated earth".

I am looking forward to it. I actually checked it out on 27th May. It looks like they will be very busy until  1st June!


1 comment:

  1. I can’t help but think that it looks disturbingly empty… That’s a lot of work that they had to do in just three days, so I worry how conscientious they were during their “excavation”. I’m still curious to know how it looks like though!

    Decorating the interior with cork sounds really eccentric and peculiar to me. I can’t really wrap my head around the idea. When I try to envision it it just looks dark and gloomy in my mind. But perhaps, since it has to represent the excavated earth, this is the intention?

    Have you returned yet to look at the finished project?

    ReplyDelete

My blog list