Friday 13 May 2011

The Civil War: 150 Years

Oh Smithsonian. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

The Smithsonian has posted a poll in their online magazine in which you can vote on Who had the best Civil War Facial Hair.
"Among the many officers who fought in the U.S. Civil War, who wore their beard, mustache, mutton chops or sideburns the best? Click each photo to learn more about the contestants."
When you click on the image of one of the officers, you can learn something about their life and their role in the Civil War.

I have to say that this is certainly a way to make history more interesting! I know very little about the Civil War, but after clicking on my "preferred candidate" Maj. Gen. Ambrose Burnside I actually learnt something about it. I thought it was just a happy coincidence that the officer with sideburns was called "Burnside"... Little did I know that this particular style of facial hair is actually named after him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My blog list